Thunderbolt pose yoga is the only such posture in all yoga asana, which can be done immediately after food or breakfast. The Sanskrit name for Thunderbolt pose yoga is Vajrasana.
“Vajra” means “Thunderbolt” or “Diamond-like”
“Asana” means “Pose”
Vajrasana pose is also called the Diamond pose.
Thunderbolt pose yoga is most effective after the meal and aids in proper digestion. Thighs and knees become stronger due to Vajrasana every day.
How to Do Thunderbolt Pose Yoga?
Sitting in correct posture in Thunderbolt Pose Yoga can help you feel linked to the traditional practice of the yogis of India. The following tips will help you practice Vajrasana correctly and gain benefits of this yoga:
- Your head, neck and spine should be aligned during the pose. Don’t bend your torso forward, breath your lower ribs, or fix your chin out.
- Maintain your look and eyes soft.
- Your weight should be balanced uniformly across both sit bones.
- Ensure the tops of your feet are pressing uniformly into the floor — don’t allow the inner or outer tops of your feet hold more weight.
- Your thighs should stay together and your feet should touch all through the pose.
- Immediately pull out of the pose if you feel any pain in the knees.
- Do not force the pose. It can take some time to sit comfortably on your heels. After a while, you will gain flexibility and all of the other benefits of the pose.
- To do this yoga, sit in the normal posture on a mat.
- Stretch your legs out in front of you and keep the spine straight.
- Now bend slightly your body weight and kneel your right foot down and put it under the right hip. And then take your body weight on the same side and kneel your second leg (left foot) down and put it under the left hip.
- Keep the gap between both the heels.
- Put both your hands on the knees.
- Keep your back straight and close your eyes.
- Now breathe slowly and breathe in and out at a natural pace.
- Repeat this process for about five minutes.
Time Duration of Vajrasana
Vajrasana should be done on an empty stomach in the morning and it can also be done after meal. At the start, you should practice this pose for three to five minutes. Later you can increase the exercise and it can be done for longer (up to ten minutes).
Note: Do not sit in Vajrasana if the feet start hurting or you have back pain.
Benefits of Vajrasana
- It helps to relieve sciatica, nerve issues, and indigestion.
- Performing Vajrasana helps in reducing the weight of the body. Thigh fat, belly, and waist fat also decrease.
- The shape of the buttocks and thighs become curvy and beautiful.
- Performing Vajrasana puts mild pressure on the central part of the stomach and on the intestines, so it is useful to get rid of all the diseases of the stomach easily. Constipation, gas, sour belching, indigestion, etc. are removed by this asana.
- Blood flow starts in the whole body in a better way. And the daily practice of Vajrasana also gives relief from terrible diseases like Sciatica.
- The problem of high blood pressure is overcome by practicing Vajrasana. The muscles of the feet become strong. And taking long deep breaths at normal speed during Vajrasana also benefits the lungs.
- Vajrasana is useful to increase strength and to remove the agility of the mind. Improves concentration and removes mental tension.
- By doing Vajrasana the muscles of the body become flexible. And the body’s metabolism remains healthy.
- The problem of lower back pain is overcome by performing Vajrasana.
Precautions for Vajrasana
- If you are suffering from joint pain and knee pain, then do not engage in Vajrasana.
- If your body has any problems do not this yoga practice.
- Practice it under the supervision of a yoga teacher.
Variations of Vajrasana
- Supta Vajrasana (Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose)
- Laghu Vajrasana (Little Thunderbolt Pose)
Supta Vajrasana (Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose)
“Supta” means “Sleeping” or “Lying Down”
This Vajrasana yoga is performed lying down on your back.
Step-By-Step Instructions: Supta Vajrasana
- First, sit in Vajrasana position.
- Using your elbows slowly lean backward and put the elbows on the ground.
- Gently extend the arms straight and move the back of the head
- Now lie down on your back, keeping your shoulders on the ground and knees together.
- Bring the hands under the shoulders, forming the shape of scissors.
- Breathe slowly then exhale slowly.
- Keep this stage according to yourself.
- Then slowly return to your initial state.
Benefits of Supta Vajrasana
- This asana helps in digestion and you can get control over constipation.
- If you want to get rid of your belly fat, then this asana should be practiced. Not only this, supta vajrasana keeps you away from a lot of stomach related diseases.
- This asana improves blood circulation and thus protects you from a lot of problems.
- By regular practice you can reduce your back pain.
- It makes your knee strong. It is a highly practiced exercise for the muscles of the thighs.
- It also keeps your spine healthy while keeping it tight.
- By practicing this posture you can make your waist slim, beautiful.
Precautions for Supta Vajrasana
- In the practice of this asana, be concerned while lying back.
- One should not practice this asana if there is too much stomach problem.
- This yoga should not be practiced when there is a pain in the hips.
- Do not do it if you have knee pain.
- Do not practice it even in back pain.
Laghu Vajrasana (Little Thunderbolt Pose)
“Laghu” means “Little” or “Small”
“Vajrasana” means “Thunderbolt Pose”
Step-By-Step Instructions: Laghu Vajrasana
- Sit in the Vajrasana position.
- Exhale, Stiffen the thighs muscles, and bend the spine back.
- Push the hips ahead and keep stretching the spine back until the crown of the headrests on the palms of legs. The weight of the body should be only on the knees. It needs immense practice to achieve the necessary spinal elasticity.
- Now remove the hands from the waist, extend the arms straight from the shoulders and hold each knee with the respective hand.
- Hold the pose from 10 to 15 seconds while breathing normally.
- Exhale, keep the knees fixed, lift up the head and trunk and return to the Thunderbolt pose.
Benefits of Laghu Vajrasana
- Strengthens the spine, back, chest, and shoulders.
- Improves the digestive system.
- Thighs and back parts become stronger.
- By regular practice, the spine and the whole body become flexible
- Tones of the abdominal region, pelvic organs, and limbs
- Improves the blood circulation of the whole body
- Lung capacity increases because of an increase in the oxygen intake, and so cures the breathing-related problems.
Precautions for Laghu Vajrasana
You should avoid the Laghu Vajrasana if you have below problems:
- Spine problems
- Back Injury
- Neck injuries