The Head to Knee Pose Yoga is also known as Janu Sirsasana which is a part of the primary series in Ashtanga Yoga. Janu Sirsasana is a Sanskrit word where “Janu” stands for “Knee”, “Sirsa” stands for “Head” and “Asana” stands for “Pose”.
This yoga pose is called Head to Knee Pose Yoga because in this yoga position head touches the knee in the full expression of this pose. It is an excellent yoga posture that gives the flexibility of hamstring muscles, back, thighs, hip joints, and arms. It also calms the mind and heart.
Before performing this yoga asana you have to keep one thing on your mind that it can be done only with an empty stomach. Let’s begin this yoga session by knowing that what is the exact posture for this yoga exercise and how can we perform it in the easiest way. For this, check the below-given Janu Sirsasana yoga image and later then check detailed steps to perform this posture.
Step-By-Step Instructions For Head to Knee Pose Yoga
Head to knee pose yoga is a good stretching exercise for the whole body and it requires a lot of flexibility. You will be able to do this yoga posture after following these steps –
- Sit on the floor with an erect spine or in a Dandasana Pose.
- Now stretch your both legs in front of you away from your hips joint.
- Now slowly bend your left leg and place it under the right leg thigh.
- Make sure your left leg heel just close to your perineum and it touches your pubic bone.
- In this position, your right leg and knee comfortably pressed on the floor.
- Now slightly raise your hands up in the line of your ears.
- Take a deep breath and slowly bend your body in the forward direction.
- Now stretch your both hands and grab your right foot toes or the middle of the foot.
- Stretch your trunk in forwarding direction until your forehead touches the right leg knees.
- But one thing which you have to remember do not stretch too far because it can cause an injury.
- Now you are in the final position, breathe normally during this position.
- Remain the same or hold this yoga position for a few seconds or as long as you are comfortable.
- If you want to release this position then raise your trunk slowly and come back to in a normal sitting position.
- Repeat this yoga session with another leg also.
Health Benefits of The Head to Knee Pose Yoga
- Janu Sirsasana yoga increases flexibility in your spine, abdomen, and back muscles.
- Regular practice of this asana helps to calm your mind and relieves mild depression.
- This yoga posture gives a good massage to digestive organs.
- Improves the function of kidneys and liver.
- It reduces your belly fat and improves the reproductive system.
- Practicing this asana also cures insomnia, sinusitis, and high blood pressure.
Precautions and Contraindications
- Avoid this yoga asana in case of any knee or hips injury.
- If you are suffering from diarrhea or asthma then don’t do this yoga session.
- Pregnant women should avoid this yoga posture.
- In case of serious lower back injury or Spondylosis.
- Seated forward bend
- Head to Knee Pose Standing
- Revolved Head to Knee Pose